Since a couple weeks the weather has changed. From a very hot summer to temperatures of 3-4C. Everybody have to get used to this change, but not at least also for the piglets. We have notices in several places that the temperature in the sheds are too low. This cold temperature will cause diarrhea. To avoid this problem we advise to notice the following (well known) instructions:
- Temperature of the maternity ward during birth 23-24C
- Temperature of the piglet nestminimum 35C
- Please be aware of coldness in the piglet nest.
- Dry the piglets directly after birth, so they don’t have to evaporate the amniotic fluid.
- Scatter the piglet nest with moist absorbing powders.